Thursday, May 14, 2009

You're Training Who For What?

So I was never in the Boy Scouts. I never earned a merit badge, but I can tie some knots and I could start a fire if I needed to. So while I don't think enrollment is an essential, I certainly don't think its a harmful childhood activity.

But I just learned about the "Explorers" and I've got a pretty healthy case of the heeby jeebies. Essentially, its training 13.5 - 18 year olds, at least C students, to be border patrol agents. You know basic skills like infiltrating hazardous areas, chasing down illegal immigrants, or clearing an alley of gun-toting Arabs. “Before it was more about the basics,” said Johnny Longoria, a Border Patrol agent here. “But now our emphasis is on terrorism, illegal entry, drugs and human smuggling.” I don't know how I made it out of adolescence without these kinds of exercises.
Since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001..., many posts have taken on an emphasis of fighting terrorism and other less conventional threats.
So because of something that happened when these kids were 6 years old they're being trained in anti-terrorism classes? I mean I guess its good these kids are finding a positive outlet for their semi-disturbing tendencies, but something deep inside me objects to a culture that lays such fear and responsibility on its youth. This isn't Sparta, we don't need to train warrior children. We revere our armed services because they make sacrifices to protect us; we don't all need to be trained in subduing combatants.

I've been a little bit shaky with the JROTC, but I'm all for it compared to this. Explorers Posts are basically individually managed cells of children being trained by local law enforcement, or whoever. They seem to make the point that this training could be useful if a school shooting were to occur but I'm inclined to believe that they probably wouldn't be armed on a typical school day. So unless the "Bruce Willis in Die Hard" course is part of the standard curriculum you're just teaching more kids how to operate weapons and clear a building. Don't officers usually have psych evaluations and stuff?

So basically we're projecting our fear and xenophobia, furthering the dissolution of American childhood and sanctioning escalation of violence and the use of maximal force.
“Put him on his face and put a knee in his back,” a Border Patrol agent explained. “I guarantee that he’ll shut up.”
I think "being a true blooded American" means something different in the Southwest.



No comments: