Wednesday, January 26, 2011

We're About Done Here.

So it seems like some of my thoughts might get passed to someone who can decide to pass them to someone else if they want. Consumerism in action! I also got a call this afternoon from another representative who wanted me to reiterate my problem verbally. I declined since the last rep indicated that my request had been fulfilled. I've gotta say that they certainly had lots of people responding to me fairly quickly, if not completely in the manner I'd hoped. Maybe Sprint is aware there could be some pushback and wants to alleviate people's concerns and complaints.

I think I showed unprecedented restraint not ripping into the various, irrelevant, repetitious and often essentially meaningless ad copy each of these representatives is apparently required to insert into their replies. Lets look at some now, shall we?

3G Customers benefit just as much as 4G users when purchasing the HTC EVO with the $10 Premium Data Fee.
Uh, no. You just said in the prior sentence that 4G customers get faster data speeds. That is a benefit that 3G customers don't get.

The embedded Premium Services allow you to do more than ever before within the 3G Network.
I really have no idea what an embedded Premium service is, so it's hard to argue about. But I'm pretty sure you don't either.

You can take an 8 Megapixal Video and stream directly to the internet.
Uh, not at the upload speeds I hit using 3G. Also I'm not sure 8 MP video is a thing; isn't video quality measured by resolution and compression? 720p video uses 0.92 MP

Sprint is extending the $10 Premium Data Add-On to all smartphone activations and upgrades beginning 1/30/11!
Why do you have an exclamation mark there? That's not good news. 'hey guys, super news, we're raising your rent 14% next month!'

Rather than imposing limits and overage charges on data plans for wireless phones as competitors have done, Sprint is extending the $10 Premium Data Add-on to all smartphone activations and upgrades beginning 1/30/11.
Sweet molasses, I just got a wicked case of deja vu. No, wait you actually just said the second half of that statement in the previous sentence. Glad you decided to take another stab at it in a more somber tone. And, yes, instead of waiting to see if I could possibly ever go over the 5GB allotment that doesn't apply to me anyway (hint: I'm never going to use 5GB in a month while I still have wired internet) you decided to preemptively charge a $10 overage fee every single month. Now that's service!

The $10 add-on is necessary on smartphones because these devices on average use 10x more data than an average feature phone.
Here's an advanced math lesson for you. 10 * unlimited = unlimited. If you can't handle some folks calling your bluff on an unlimited plan, maybe you shouldn't be selling it to them. Also, I've averaged 7.6 MB of data use per day over the past 6 months with a smart phone. Lets ignore how far under INFINITE MB that is, and look at how much less than the 170.6MB per day a feature phone would have to use to hit the 5GB cap. It's 22.26 TIMES LESS data than a feature phone is allowed to use, not ten times more.

This Premium Data pack is for unlimited data usage while in 3G/4G Sprint network and also for the rich data experience that smartphones provide whether in 3G or 4G Sprint network.
I'm tempted to declare this nonsense and move on, but lets break it down. 'Premium data is for unlimited data usage and rich data experience.' Again, I'm not sure what rich data usage is or how it's different, but given the option I'd pick unlimited over rich. And I already had unlimited without the premium pack.

This $10.00 Premium Data Pack ensure maximum utilization of all the features on smartphones.
Nope. Standing over my shoulder and making sure I open every app installed (even those crap apps I can't uninstall) would ensure maximum utilization of features.

Anyway, I'm getting tired of making the same point over and over again, so I'll probably just drop it. The machine wins. But come on, you have to admit that selling a more unlimited data plan is as silly as extra virgin olive oil.

2 comments:

kennethj said...

extra virgin at least you get lower acidity, also could you put some reddit buttons in here somewhere

jeadly said...

Hey, I made this template when digg was cool. Get outta here with your reddit.