Monday, September 22, 2008

Holy Crap.

This is the kinda shit that keeps me up at night. No, not polishing my rifle in the dark, warily eying the door as if it were a gun restriction legislator. I mostly worry that the GOP will be able to trick enough demographics into treating this election like a single issue race.
"Probably never even been hunting a day in his life" "Defend freedom; Defeat Obama."
Really? Electing Obama will somehow dissolve the 2nd amendment? I'm pretty sure its the other party that deserves a reputation for basically ignoring our constitution. Still, how many people will ignore all the policies, decisions, and practices that are bad for the country, bad for themselves and bad for our world, to vote on a single token issue?

And I don't mean to suggest that gun-rights aren't important; there are just quite a lot of issues at play here. Sometimes I really wonder how all these folks got packaged up as the traditional GOP base. I mean, all the rich dudes make sense, huge contracts and do-whatever-the-fuck-you-want economic plans make it easier to scam serious cash. Nevermind, who's being scammed from. And then you have the rural gun lobby who may also like the "less government" approach to their issue. But the war hawks seem to have no problem growing the military and raining down terror overseas; all the while courting the religious and 'family values' aspect. Yeah, I guess if 'religious' means intollerant of other beliefs, and not actually so keen to contemplate your own. I'm sorry, what does Christianity say about extreme wealth and helping the less fortunate?

Mostly I guess I need to have faith that the American public can see through all this bullshit, spin and the lies upon lies upon lies. But I did that in 2004, thus my worries.

I look at Barack Obama and I see a man who wants to change this country, and the world, for the better. And I think he has a good shot at it. In McCain I only see a man who wants to beat Obama.

No comments: