Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Post Haste.

I recently sent in a comment to the National Geographic society about all the junk mail they send me. Like three in the past two weeks, seems a little excessive.
I have renewed my National Geographic Magazine subscription until 2010, yet I continue to receive mailers telling me my subscription is running out. I have taken great lengths to reduce the amount of trash I receive in the mail, and while I enjoy the magazine, these offers are redundant and unnecessary. Please update whatever records your retention unit employs or if you contract out this mailer-driven campaign, you may want to check to see that your money is being spent wisely. Thank you, from a loyal customer who doesn't want more wasted paper.
I think its pretty reasonable not to be bothered again and again and again with warning pamphlets and pre-addressed envelopes for something that I've already bought. Luckily the customer service rep that read my suggestion had a helpful tip for dealing with the glut:
Please disregard the duplicate renewal notice. We apologize for any inconvenience or concern this matter has caused you. Our renewals are preprinted to help our members avoid a lapse in service. Sometimes this causes our members’ orders to cross in the mail with our renewal offers. If you have any further questions... [blah, blah, brushoff]
Oh, really? Thanks, I'm too big of a moron to know when to ignore useless shit. I was really worried that the towering pile of junk mail in my living room would fall over and crush me as I walked past in the morning; but now I know I can just throw it all in the trash. That's dynamite!

I don't want your goddamn apologies, I want you to stop sending (or more importantly, printing) these letters in the first place. And as for telling me that they are pre-printed in some lackluster attempt to make me feel better? That just tells me that you're sending these things to everyone that has only 6 months of service left. Its not a mistake, we regularly inundate about half of our members with repetitive, redundant and mildly insulting mailers that waste time, money and resources.

I mean, I know that subscribing to a magazine isn't very green, but come on, can't you guys help me out a little and keep it to a minimum?

No comments: