Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Stop Saying Upgrade.

Yup, I overheard people talking about more blackberry outages recently. People are so used to being piped into the tubes that when they're cut off for a few hours they go into shock. Maybe that's why the term crackberry has caught on so well. I'm not a RIM customer, but I have had a similar type experience with Helio. (you may note this is one of the few issues I've had with my Helio.) After a while on the phone I got through to a tech who told me that they were pushing an upgrade on the system and my service would be back up in a few hours. This is the same excuse RIM recently gave its addicts for the recent network failure.

Lookit, its not an upgrade if it makes stuff stop working during peak hours. I'd call that a pretty significant downgrade in fact, and if you can't figure out when I'm less likely to be using my phone you should try calling people at random times and gage how pissed-off they sound. (3-4 in the morning is prolly your sweet spot)

So we all assume you're not idiots and you're not really pushing upgrades in the middle of the day, you just don't want to admit you've had problems. That would make us question the reliability of your service. But would your customers rather hear that your service had an accidental outage, or that you took it down on purpose at an obviously inappropriate time? I've wager on the former, because at least then you'd strive not to let it happen again.

Finally, at the very least, if these are indeed intended outages, send me a text message or email, put a banner up on the website. Let me know its the whole network so I don't spend 25 minutes troubleshooting my device only to be told its an "upgrade".

No comments: