Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Pocket Clouds.

So google powered up a microsoft exchange server so big it would eat your car and now people with exchange enabled devices can sync their contacts and calendars as if they were big-wig fancy-pants business-types. That means iPhones, blackberry, etcetera folks. Now, this was one of the good reasons that I was so partial to an Android powered phone, so you might say that this is google shooting a hole in its own foot. But on the other hand google isn't the kind of company that restricts users to drive them towards a more lucrative business model that they don't really need. (*Ahem* Verizon...)

Anyway, if you've bought into gmail real hard, like most semi-savy folks have, there's a good chance you could be convinced to manage your contacts there if the changes would propagate to all your other devices.  So its in google's interest to have you using their web apps no matter your handset of choice.

Extra bonus nugget:  I've been managing my contacts in gmail for quite a while and the thing that irked me most was when people would get added under multiple email addresses.  There was no way to merge them and it was a pain to fix.  Well that's not a problem any more.  So go spruce up your list and get on the train.  I've got my contacts and calendar rocking on my ipod and its awesome.

Also, turn on your google latitude account.  No one cares that much about where you are, so stop freaking out.  Although I think there's a mode lacking in the privacy settings, the old I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

That's it.  Tech guru out.

No comments: