Thursday, February 08, 2007

Take Your Censor And Cram It... Into Your Living Room.

Yes!  Roll this out into every American's home today!  Well, maybe just to everyone who complains about the language and suggestive content on TV.  I'm mostly unsympathetic to these folks; if you don't want to see it, don't watch it.  Pretty simple, don't go complaining to the censors every time your virgin eyes get molested.  I know we've got the rating system and we've got the v-chip, but that's apparently too hard to use.  Enter the personal TV censor.  Its like having a 1950's school teacher running the volume control in your living room.  Every time she sees a dirty word pop up in the closed captioning the TV mutes for a second.

Yeah, the first thing I thought when I read this was "but the closed captioning is a little behind the audio on most shows."  So you'd just end up bleeping some innocuous word a few seconds after the eff bomb.  Whatever, I don't care, cause I'm not getting one.  No one is getting one.  But I feel like this idea is important because but it'll help crystallize the issue.  You are responsible for the content you consume, just like food.  Sure, the government may have regulations about packaging and labeling, but if you want to eat spam you're allowed to eat spam.  People aren't complaining because they're accidentally exposing themselves to objectionable content.  (dammit, I was at the grocery store looking for healthy food and I accidentally opened and ate a can of spam, even though it was clearly marked as such)  They don't want you to expose yourself to that content.  And they don't have that right.

No comments: