Monday, March 19, 2007

Renting movies? What is this, 1989?

Alright, so I finally got my Amazon Unbox and TiVo speaking.  I'm not really sure what the issue was (I have a hunch it was because I changed the email address of my TiVo account and some setting didn't transfer) anyway I unlinked at Amazon an left it a couple days.  When I came back it showed Boothroyd in my Amazon download options.  (yes, I named my TiVo after Major Boothroyd, big whoop, wanna fight about it?)  Great, now I just had to find a movie to download.  It should be one that I kinda want to see but probably don't want to buy.

I did not read any reviews of Idiocracy.  I did not read any plot summaries or tag lines or any anything about this movie.  I just saw the name and assumed it was a commentary of the current state of our government and a social commentary on idiots controlling the most powerful country in the world.  I was mistaken.  Sorely mistaken.  If you haven't seen it, don't.  Let me just say this "Reverse Encinoman without the added bonus of Polly Shore."  Yes, having Polly Shore would have made this movie better.

So its guess its good I didn't buy the DVD, and I technically didn't pay to see it since amazon gave me 15 bucks to mess around with on Unbox.  But still, I'd like to try and do a little better next time.  I didn't.  I rented Scoop.  Yeah, I know, but its tough picking a movie that I don't already own or plan on buying.  And I figure Scarlet Johansen is pretty hot, and I like to laugh a Hugh Jackman's name, so what the hell. 

Goodness, that was bad.  I mean, no, not as bad as Idiocracy, but that's really not saying anything.  Woody Allen's character was just painful and Scarlett's character made the back of my hand itchy, if you get my meaning.  Aristocrat philanderer and murderer Peter Lyman was ably played by Hugh Jackman.  Hehe, Hugh Jackman.

Well strike two, its beginning to look like renting movies is not for me.  Not because the downloading doesn't work, and not because of the file restrictions and not because of the film quality.  That's all fine, but it seems that if I don't want to own a movie, I don't even want to watch it once.

Alright, last try, I pick the Devil Wears Prada.  Which was fine.  What's-her-face is cute, and the acting was fine.  Yeah, I don't need to own this, but I'm fine with seeing it.  Whew saved the strikeout, but I don't know if I'm willing to drop 4 bones to download a movie.  I guess it depends on the library the choose to stock on the Unbox TiVo section.  Hear that Amazon?  You're on shaky ground because you need more slightly mediocre but entertaining movies.  Not too good, but not too Idiocracy.

No comments: