Thursday, March 22, 2007

Those Pants Are Painted On.

NewScientist has a bit about upcoming technologies and one from the 19th was "auto-snug" clothing.  The idea is that clothes would be made of tiny muscle wires that can change length when a current is passed through them.  Think Back To The Future 2 when Marty impersonates his son and the jacket auto sizes for him.  So you'd have clothes that, while they weren't made just for you, fit like they were.  Kinda interesting, but I can see several problems with this. 

1) I have no issue with the way pretty much all pants with my numbers fit.  I don't need them any snugger.

2) Lets assume we're talking more fitted than the length by width size scheme that's already in place.  We're talking about a suit or basically any article of women's clothing. (I love not having to buy women's clothes)  How do the pants, or whatever sizing mechanism they use know what size to make the clothes?  Do bring your size on a data card from store to store?  Would you have someone encode your measurements on said card?  What if they change?

3) You've got to figure out how to make this less expensive than taking traditional clothes to be altered.  I'm gonna guess right now its not close.

4) Can someone figure out how to unsnug clothes once you're out of the store?  I dunno, some kind of microwave or other wireless signal to freak out the muscle fibers.  And before you say no one would do that, stop.  I would.


No comments: