Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Just So You Know.

I am NOT in Africa.  I have not lost my wallet.  I was not struck on the back of the head causing all my knowledge of the English language and hatred of CapsLock to fall out the front.  You'd have to assume all of the preceding conditions were true to be taken in by the latest 419 scam from Nigeria.  It involves stealing email accounts and begging friends for money.

HELLO
HOW ARE YOU DOING? I WANT YOU TO KEEP THIS CONFIDENTIAL BETWEEN BOTH OF US, I KNOW THAT I CAN PUT MY TRUST IN YOU ON THIS. PLEASE DO NOT LET ME DOWN. RIGHT NOW I AM IN AFRICA, NIGERIA. I CAME HERE ON A TRIP TO SEE A FRIEND AND WHEN I GOT HERE I LOST MY WALLET CONTAINING THE ADRESS OF MY FRIEND AND HIS CONTACT PHONE NUMBER, ALONG WITH MY ATM CARD AND OTHER VALUABLES.
SO RIGHT NOW I DO NOT EVEN HAVE ANY MONEY ON ME . I AM STAYING IN A HOTEL NOW , AND THE MANAGER IS ALREADY RANTING OVER HIS MONEY AND AS TIME GOES BY THE BILLS ARE INCREASING.
I WOULD WANT YOU TO LOAN ME $2000. I PROMISE TO PAY YOU BACK AS SOON AS I GET BACK… I WOULD WANT YOU TO HELP SEND THE MONEY VIA WESTERN UNION . GET BACK AT ME ASAP.
HOPE TO READ FROM YOU…

When you think about it this scam is most dangerous to good friends of poorly spoken, careless, spontaneous travelers.  "Hmmm Jim does suck at writing...  And he does lose his stuff...  And I haven't seen him in a couple days.  I guess he could have gone to Africa. "  I guess the other victims are the careless travelers themselves who can no longer count on poorly solicited wire transfer loans to bail them out of whatever hot water they're in this week.  Also, If I ever ask you to keep something "CONFIDENTIAL BETWEEN BOTH OF US" I want you to tackle me and rip the mask off my face Scooby Doo style.

No comments: