Monday, March 31, 2008

Me? Perceptive?

Those of you who know me might be aware of my general lack of awareness of other people; their feelings and general bidness. So when I tell you that during my conference in Palm Springs I had a lingering feeling that the town was frequented by, if not overrun with older gay gentlemen, you should keep in mind that this is me talking. There weren't any real factual details, you know the kind I base pretty much all my decisions and assumptions on, just little things. Like pairs of older men walking around together. Could have been anything, and who am I to cast stereotypes?

Anyway, it came to my last day and I was sitting a the bar waiting for my flight. This guy and I started talking a little, he was in town with his family visiting his brother. He's concocted a scheme to have the bartender card the brother and give him a hard time with the ID since he was coming from a botox appointment. Everyone had a good laugh at his disbelief that this bartender was about to refuse to serve him. So we sat and had a couple beer waiting for the wife and kids to show up for dinner. When they got up to leave, the brother said to me:
Good luck... And be careful... A handsome man like you in this town...
This town? Now I'm not one to shirk a compliment but the lingering pat/rub on the back was a little akward for someone of my particular persuasion. So turns out I may have been onto something that whole time. Mothers, lock up your GIS analysts. Who knew?

The US Census bureau and Wikipedia, aparently:

The current gay and lesbian population in Palm Springs is estimated to be about seven times the national average.

Kinda makes me think I should do more homework before traveling to new places.

No comments: