Friday, March 28, 2008

Tiny Baubbles, In My Gear.

It seems a class of article I really like is new materials and fabrics. Nanotech is pretty exciting in producing fundamentally different building blocks that would seem to break traditional preconceptions.

We'll start of with a non-textile revolution. Liquid bandages rated for combat sized wounds will change the way field medicine is practiced. Pretty soon everyone will carry a tube of glue that can seal up previously fatal blood loss. And I image you can use it on your paper cuts too.
Anti-taser material provides protection from electric shock like would be delivered by a standard taser to the torso. Guess the cops will have to start aiming for skin pretty soon.
Next up is a nano-engineering feat that could keep the rain out of your face; with out using a windshield wiper. The layered materials combine to provide an active nano-"dust" layer that pushes debris to the sides of the surface. Talk about sufficiently advanced science, this is no doubt magic.
I've always been amazed at the way skin reseals itself, given enough time and cleanliness. Cut yourself? Just leave it alone and after a while it'll be good as new. They're working on a rubber than will reconnect after being cut, more like a glue but with substance. So don't worry about duct-taping leaks in your garden hose. That's so 90's.
And don't worry about sporting your stab-vest on the streets or Europe. There's a new material that claims to provide similar protection but has the weight quality of a t-shirt. The article says that it can be penetrated by "sharp points" so I spose its more protection against being slashed, I'm mot sure. But they're on the right track.
So, some pretty exciting stuff, although I'm still waiting for that spandex super G skiers wear to trickle down to the consumer market. I'd assumed everyone was as pumped up as I was about everyday armor and wiperless windshields but this survey claims that 66% or Americans think that nano-tech is morally unacceptable. Yeah, I hope you're doing a spit-take like I did at reading that cause its so silly. Do you have a problem with modern farming and immunizations too? Do you refer to airplanes as evil metallic birds? Perhaps you have no idea what nano-tech is or how it benefits us all but just assume that it has something to do with three headed cows and killing babies.
Update:
Ok, so I can technically get that d30 flexible armor stuff, but $350 is still a little steep for a shirt I will only wear so that my friends can hit me with 2x4's.




No comments: