Tuesday, December 05, 2006

I Live On Semantics.

Yeah, I'm probably not gonna sign up for this any time soon. A man in Paraguay was crucified in a demonstration to release someone or another. Like voluntarily. I thought it was just those crazy South Americans till I read a little more. Apparently lots of people have themselves crucified for various reasons. Nutbags.

Now I don't mean to split hairs, its just something that happens. But is it technically crucifiction if you don't die from it? I mean its defined as a type of execution where "The victim was tied or nailed to a large wooden cross and left to hang there until dead." Left until dead. So these demonstrators aren't actually being crucified, right? They're being nailed some wood for a while.

I'm sure its still very painful, its just not an execution. Can people self-immolate without dying? If you ask me calling the act and the near act the same thing cheapens their concepts.

No comments: