Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Apple-rific.

Really? Wow apple, you just blew my mind at macworld yesterday. Yeah, that laptop is very thin and your apps work with a fluidity that can only be provided by wood nymfs in every box.

But honestly, you announce movie rentals and expect me to clap like a trained seal? I didn't know that itunes didn't do rentals until yesterday. This is where Amazon was with their video download service at launch. And I'm sure its very neat that you can put a flick on your ipod or iphone or itoothbrush but I can't really see myself watching a feature film that I paid 5 bucks to rent on a screen that small.

I haven't really read too much about what makes the new appletv different from the old one except that it'll stream content from apple's servers rather than just your home system, but I'm still glad I have a Tivo instead of that. The interface is probably better (which is saying something) but you have to pay for virtually every show you run through it unless you're "creative" about your content sources.

Also, did anyone notice that movie studio exec mention how a digital copy of the movie would be provided on new releases of DVDs or blueray? Do they not know that the movie is already on the disc? No, they're just planning on locking the feature up so tight in drm that they decided to include a second copy wrapped in apple's transferable drm. So... "We understand that you may want to back-up your purchase or even watch it on different devices. But we still don't trust you SOBs with our property. Remember kids, ripping media kills puppies!"

No comments: