Friday, January 25, 2008

Now We've Gotta Move The Whole Damn Forbidden City.

Well that was a solid five months. That is, its been five months since I discovered Seeqpod and decided not to tell you.
It was a selfish move, and I knew it couldn't hold off the music industry hounds forever. But I like to think my hush-hush policy helped lengthen the brash little search/playlist site's lawsuit free phase. A phase I'm sad to say is over today. Somebody spilled the beans and Edgar Bronfman Jr is on the trail. Of course there's nothing technically illegal about what Seeqpod does, they just help people find music that someone else is hosting. But its definitely a service the music big-wigs wish was illegal. So they're headed to court to sort it all out.

It'll be interesting to see if the DMCA comes out on Warner Music's "protect the property" side or with the EFF and Seeqpod claiming the DMCA's safe harbor clause. In the mean time either Seeqpod will continue to serve up tune locations unmolested, or the users will flock to the next undiscovered haven. I'm starting to think the RIAA and cohorts are going to stalk us until there aren't any more domain names to hide under.

No comments: