Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Netflix Actually Becomes Net Flicks.

No longer just a mail order catalog, Netflix is loosing the spicket on their download service.  Unlimited video downloads, even if the term is a misnomer, is appealing.  Heck if I had a computer hooked to my tv, I'd definitely pay Netflix 15 bucks a month right now.  And actually I do have a computer hooked to my tv, its just called a Tivo.  So maybe Netflix needs to talk to them, or Amazon if they've got a no-compete contract.  I could see Amazon not liking someone else delivering unrestricted content while they're over there charging 4 bucks a rental. 

But I've got a secret for Amazon.  Sure, I'm very pleased with your download service, but there's no way I'm going to top 15 bucks a month renting digital movies from you.  I'll pay the 99 cent sale price to see films I don't much want to buy on DVD, but there's no way I'm going to rent one for 4 bucks.  And I don't care who gives me the movies, as long as they're easy to get and come straight to my Tivo box.  So you might as well throw a turnicate on that wound before the blood really starts flowing.  Develop your own all-you-can-eat download plan and keep your existing piecemeal customers from shopping around.  It'll be a guaranteed 15 bucks a month from me with minimal overhead increase, rather than losing the 4-7 dollars you get now .  You've got the content, the infrastructure, the hardware contracts, formatting... it all there just begging to be done.  And, added bonus,  I'll be on your site more often and be more tempted to buy all those things hanging around on my wishlist.

Do it...

No comments: