Thursday, May 29, 2008

Emissions Impossible.

I find it really amusing that some folks head over to the emissions testing place wondering if they'll pass or not.  Its like they're middle school students who haven't learned the material but took their best shot at a scantron anyway.  Fingers crossed, brow furrowed, nose squidged out to the side because they firmly believe that the harder they hope, the more chance of a favorable outcome.  I didn't cross my fingers.  I mean, just look at my car.  How could it not pass?  Also I've already passed a MD inspection and a DC inspection within the last year.  I know, those should be good for two years, but I'm fine with going again.  See, the testing place is literally a block and a half from my office (closer than the nearest gas station).  So while I may have been able to dig through backlogs of paperwork that I don't really organize and file a protest, I think it was a better use of my time to just let them have a look at my car again.

It also amuses me that they don't really to the emissions tests any more.  They just hook the car up to the computer and ask it if its been behaving.  I was about to open the door when the attendant said "You can stay in the car.  Just move your legs over a little."  I looked at him, then down at my legs in the footwell and back at him.  I replied "I think I'll hop out."  See, my car isn't the kind of car you skootch over a little in.  It holds you in the right spot for driving and there's little room for much else.  So he proceeded to hook the cable up and I can't imagine how I would have contorted to remain in the car while he reached under the dash.  Maybe some combination of hanging from the headrest with my legs out the sunroof...  Wham, bam, thank you vehicle emissions inspection dude.  That took all of 4 minutes.

No comments: