Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Worldly.

It really surprises me how okay my financial institutions are with me buying 9 feet of margaritas in Mexico or withdrawing $120 from a cash machine in Panama.  Seems like when I was a kid the flags would go off much more readily.  Like buying gas during one of our biannual trips to Michigan.  But now I can buy a bottle of Scotch in a gift shop 3,000 miles away and no one blinks.  They just assess a reasonable ATM fee (96 cents versus pushing 5 bucks for a local off-bank transaction) or calculate how much I'm getting screwed on the exchange rate and go about their business.  I guess maybe that's just the kind of profile I've generated through my past spending habits, but they must have some very sneaky algorithms crunching to allow some of the stuff I do.  Either that or they're less vigilant than I think...

No comments: