Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Iron Manacles.

Well, I heard that Iron Man was pretty darn good. Which I'm happy about, I don't think I could take another bad superhero movie. And it looks like it was good enough to draw people in despite the release of GTAIV, which I think is a silly proposition considering the cost and relative obscurity of systems. I mean, there are way more people with access to movie theatres than with access to a PS3 or Xbox360.

Regardless I didn't go see the movie, although I did want to, for another reason entirely. I had the time, and the cash, and the movies are like 3 blocks from my apartment. I can look up show times on my computer, my Tivo, and my phone. I read about Iron Man on Wikipedia last week so as to properly have a knowledge base on which to compare the film's interpretation. But then I got to thinking about all the hype and how pundits would be watching the opening weekend ticket sales and making conjectures and assumptions about the movie, the indusrty, the patrons, and me. Something about measuring the success of a movie in gross income over time rubs me the wrong way. Its more likely to measure the marketing campaign than the movie itself since the vast majority of people who go see a movie on opening weekend haven't seen it before and don't know if it sucks or not. So I abstained, no so much from the movie, but from being tabulated into the movie's foamy, pulsating, fiscal recoup orgy.

1 comment:

kelzipan said...

You should see it before you leave. It won't be in theatres by the time you get back from recess. :P