Wednesday, November 29, 2006

This Shit Is Broke... You Wanna Buy It?

Well we had that election, and despite all my pissing and moaning nothing too terrible happened. Either that or the hackers have similar political views to myself. Anyway with all that suffraging out of the way, now states can start deciding what debacles will plague the next set of elections. Take Florida for instance. They lost a bunch of votes and have decided that they need new e-voting equipment. Good observations guys. And how do you go about remidying the situation? Go ask the company that screwed up your last machines for a quote? That's an interesting way to do it. I guess maybe they've learned from their mistakes and have more experience than some other company, but I feel like I wouldn't rehire a babysitter that lost one of my kids.

That's not the funny part though. Florida intends to help pay the $4.1 million replacement cost by selling off its old machines. The old machines that didn't work. The old machines they are so inclined to get rid of after a single use. The old machines that don't actually count votes. The election supervisor even went so far as to list off the places he thinks are dim enough to buy the irregular goods. "Just because there is some controversy over the touch-screen machines here, doesn't mean places like Georgia, Alabama, Washington, D.C., or Michigan won't want them." Hmmm... maybe that's true, but when I'm looking at a used car I usually ask "So how come you're getting rid of it? Oh, because it only has a picture of an engine under the hood... I'll get back to you."

No comments: