Thursday, November 09, 2006

Activate Stealth Driving Mode.

Forget about having to install tracking software in your car; pretty much everyone in the country is already carrying a tracking device. While it might be a good idea to re-purpose existing technology, how do we toe the line between privacy and the common good? It would be very useful to be able to track traffic on a large scale, and we have the technology currently in place. No lane counters or morons in helicopters needed. But we also value anonymity in this country, something that you probably assume your phone company respects. But I can't help thinking that a program will soon be monitoring my speed and mailing me a ticket. That would technically satisfy my beef about speed cameras not providing ubiquitous enforcement, but I think I'm smart enough to turn my phone off when I drive. At least after the first five or six tickets.

No comments: