Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Is BuzzFeed Buzzworthy?

So I checked in on my site stats today, expecting lackluster numbers to reflect my lackluster performance. No, my hits for yesterday skyrocketed! (relatively speaking) Huh? I didn't do anything special... did I? A little further investigation and the vast majority of the readers came from a site called BuzzFeed.com OK, what the hell is that?

From their site's explanation they've got software that monitors the blagosphere and comes up with new trends that people are talking about. So if you look closely you'll note that my little rumination on meatlifting is the top listing in that trend for some reason. Sure, its under a different title (theirs is way better by the way) but its my post picked up mere hours days after I blaged about a hot topic. Shit Dee, thanks for the link, I had no idea you were so savvy. Maybe I should gank your profile links more often.

I spose it appears that BuzzFeed is a pretty interesting site, kinda like picking horses at the track. I'm willing to let it on my feed for a week to try it out. I'm not really sure how much editorial interaction there is in the process, but I assume there is some which could become an issue if it blows up like Digg. Digg is too damn big for its own good, I can't even check it any more. I run through an RSS list of the ten most popular things and then I'm audi. I'm more about a tight but pervasive group, people who've got an eye on everything cool and actually remember what's already been cool 7 months ago. And who knows, that might be exactly what BuzzFeed is. But they've gotta watch out for self fulfilling site syndrome, which is a highly technical concept that I've just made up. You don't want things to become trends because they are listed on the site, predicting the future isn't as impressive if you control it. So check it out if you'd like, but don't tell your friends. We don't want this getting out of hand.

No comments: