Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Muwahahaha.

Yes, that's my evil mad scientist laugh, which means something devious is going tremendously.  My sophomore year of college I put a plan in motion so diabolical, so gooily genius filled and circuitous that not even Dr Honeydew could have conceived it.  I took as many of those free AOL discs as possible and I never once signed up for service from those punks.  I taped them to my walls, I used them as coasters, I played Frisbee golf with them, the list goes on.  The main point of this was to make their shotgun style marketing campaign and "free" "internet" service as unprofitable as possible.

Yes, it took several years and various other factors to help parlay my gambit, but at last the downfall is coming to a head.  AOL no longer deems its ISP business as a viable tool and is trying to focus on its "Services."  Laughable, since the only reason people used to use their "services" was because they didn't know any better.  Now that people have to enter the walled garden on purpose instead to starting there by default, AOL is finding out that lots of other companies are already filling the nich they hope to provide.  Well, darn.  I guess maybe you could take another look at you business model, and recede a little further into the darkness while you're at it.  America doesn't need America Online and we're starting to realize it.

No comments: