Tuesday, October 09, 2007

The Tom Sawyer Retirement Package.

I didn't get this at first.  Why would you buy a condo on a barge that floats up and down the rivers in the heartland of America?  I mean, yeah its great traveling from city to city on vacation or something, but who could live that way?  You'd drive home from work to a different place every day.  Where would you park?  And what if you forgot the schedule?  Seemed like a kooky idea; then I read the part about it being for retirees. 

Oh.  That makes a lot more sense and knocks out most of my commuting arguments.  But still, I get the image of reckless retirees roving the inner coastal waterways of the US.  Harassing tug and paddle boat drivers.  Loitering around convienience stores, playing craps for pennies and decimating the salad bars at Howard Johnsons all over the midwest.  Like a swarm of locust they'd move from one city to the next disgorging from their party yachts directly into the prime, unsuspecting downtown shopping districts of the heartland.

Alright, fine, maybe my imagination is a little active.  But I'm still glad they're not running these things up the Anacostia.  There'd be lawn bowling and checkers squatters all over my ultimate fields.  And I have no idea what we could do about it.

No comments: