Monday, April 16, 2007

Like a House Cat Attacking a Hippo.

I find it interesting when I make conclusions about the meaning of a sentence before I'm finished reading it.  I tend to do this more often when I'm blazing through article titles in my RSS reader looking for words that jump out and drag my attention back, even though my eyes have already moved three articles down.  So like:
blah blah blah, computer stuff, world news, blah blah, more computer stuff, giant mice, blah blah, internet forum, blah. 
Obviously "giant mice" stands out there and my spidey sense is tingling.  Unfortunately I'm still in "shock value" mode and it takes me longer than a second grader dipped in chocolate to actually understand what the article is about.
"Giant Mice Devouring" (holy crap!) "Island" (a small island?  well, they are giant mice.) "Seabird" (ok, bird-eating mice, still unusual) "Chicks" (oh, so not pit bull sized mice?)
Hmm, a little bit of a let-down after that first mental image, but still kinda freaky.

DP-super-quick-abstract:
An island off the coast of South Africa is home to 10 million birds and 1 million invasive house mice.  The 3x normal size house mice consume all usual food on the island during winter and begin to attack other mice and birds.  The lack of competition and natural predators have allowed the mice to adopt a predatory role.  While a baby albatross can weight up to 22 lbs, the mice weigh only 1.2 oz, making the hunt similar to "a house cat attacking a hippo."
Warning, jibblies inducing content:
The baby albatross have instincts to defend themselves from other birds, but do not respond to attacks from mice, even when being consumed from within.


No comments: