Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Shark Attack!

Well, I began my masters of maritime carnivory tonight. First course: Elasmobranchii 310.

I decided to choose a recipe that wouldn't mask the original flavor of the meat so I decided on a garlic-infused shark steak basted with a lemon basil oregano parsley sauce and garnished with fire-roasted tomato. The steaks were marinated and began on the grill with a foil liner, mostly because most fish I grill ends up sticking like bare skin on a leather couch in august. I bumped them off the foil and over the flames to finish them off and they were surprisingly hearty.

Luckily I had a few minutes to spare before my hot new ladyfriend arrived, so I took some pictures of the awesome beast whose powers I was about to possess*. Apex predator my ass; tonight you're dinner.

As you can see, it was very tastefully done. And now on to the meat. It was mildly fishy, but in a more substantial kinda way. I'd put the flavor near a tuna steak, but the texture was more solid. Not rubbery necessarily, but it didn't come apart like fish normally does. I could have hit it with the garlic a bit harder and no one would have minded, shark doesn't have a particularly strong flavor of its own. You could clearly taste the lemon marinade. Disappointingly, it lost that kickass red tinge as it cooked and became grey and... less appetizing grey. Not quite the enticing pink hue of a beef steak, but hey, its fish. What did you expect? All-in-all a not-unsatisfying experience and definately a substantial cut of meat from an extra-ordinary animal. Chalk me up on the fridge!But don't take my word for it, start your own meat masters degree today. I've got leftovers...

*Note: I am not currently aware of any super predator powers that were passed to me by this shark. I assume I have to learn to properly use them over time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you used my yoga mat as a table cloth! Very classy.

jeadly said...

That's how I roll!