Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Get Lost.

I was initially intrigued by this ebook by a Dr Solomon. It details his 12 principles for finding lost items... for fracking idiots. They include complex concepts like thinking about where you left something and searching carefully. It highlights time and again that randomly searching is not a productive method. Random searching? Who the hell randomly searches for anything? I lost my belt; I'll start by looking at a Taco Bell in Illinois. WTF? If you don't start looking for something you lost by trying to remember where it was last I don't know how you're not huddled naked in the wilderness of the Pacific Northwest shivering for warmth. Really, this might be the most painfully insulting thing I've ever read. And the kicker is that after pages of proclaiming the magic of the 12 principles, he lists a super secret 13th principle, just in case the first dozen nuggets fell through. Guess what it is. Give up; maybe you were fated to lose the item. You must be goddamn joking! I need whatever it is I'm looking for! If I didn't stop looking for it after like step 4 of your excruciation process it must be vital to whatever I'm doing. I understand the advice about not freaking out, but come on. You're writing a book for people who want help finding things, isn't "sometimes you fail" a bit of a cop out? That's like an art instruction book guaranteeing results and at the end admitting that some people just suck at art.

No comments: