Thursday, April 10, 2008

Nope, I Don't Like It.

The NY Times has an article about people relating with their googlegängers, people with identical names they can find on Google. Basically the short of it is that people have an affinity for the letters in their own name and are unconsciously drawn to things that remind them of themselves.

I'm not trying to deny that I like things that are spelled with the letters in my name, but when I run across someone with my exact first and last name, I don't experience whatever "bond" these other folks are going through. Its kind of a chill in my spine and vomiting butterflies in my stomach. I don't want to meet them, I don't want to email them, I don't want them to even be out there. You motherfuckers stole my name and I'll never forgive you for it. Or perhaps its a kind of uncanny valley, I don't mind an approximation, but get too close and I'm repulsed.

Additionally, I don't want any psychologists writing in about what that might mean and interpreting my night terrors; you guys are on notice for calling what you do science in the first place.

1 comment:

Kirk said...

the other me is all over news sites for embezzlement and corporate fraud.

way to go googleganger me!