Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Let The Kickbacks Fly.

I know I've never submitted to advertising. Its that kind of journalistic integrity that keeps you coming back for more time and time again. But lets face it, with fame and publicity comes a certain amount of temptation. So while I'm not diving into the whole adwords shake-your-money-maker deal, you can feel free to label this post a sell out if you wish.

Encyclopedia britannica, the pay-for-subscription online encyclopedia (I think they used to make something called "books" too), has started a program wherein they're giving away free year-long memberships to publishers in an effort to promote what an excellent resource it is. That's right, I'm a publisher, big whoop, wanna fight about it? So I imagine from time to time I'll put in a widget and a link to this new dealy. They've got it worked out so that losers like you without annual subscriptions can click through to the whole article, but you can't browse like the champs. Maybe it'll be enough to whet your whistle; at least that's what Britannica's hoping. Honestly, its a good strategy and I hope it works out for them. I'm certainly willing to do my part.





They do actually go check out whatever source you claim to publish, so don't go thinking that sad little blog you started 2 years ago and ended up pasting 4 Calvin and Hobbes cartoons into before quitting will qualify. I'm not even gonna link to the program, so if you wanna get down, you've got your work cut out for you.

Full disclosure: I've been given a year-long membership to Encyclopedia Britanica Online, worth about $70. Chump.

No comments: