Thursday, May 03, 2007

You're Just Addicted To Sucking.

This article goes on for two pages detailing how email is a leach and a cancer and a detriment, distracting people from the task at hand every chance they get.  Then in the last paragraph he says:

you often find confident people who are immune to e-mail addiction. They just don't understand what the fuss is about. They check e-mail when they need to; they turn it off when they've got stuff to do. It's a tool that serves them.

I don't get what the fuss is about.  I check my email and empty my inbox of items that are no longer pending.  When I have access to it I deal with it.  I don't feel the sky pressing down on me when I'm cut off from email for a few days, and I never check my work email out of the office.  I can.  But I don't.  I have separate accounts for work, personal, even for business-personal, and of course blog.

So if you can "often" find people like me who use email as a primary communication tool, yet know how to use it and - more importantly- how to not use it, why is anyone railing against email?  (besides an opportunity to cash in)

Many people who are addicted to e-mail are more correctly described as addicted to work.

There we go.  The problem isn't the technology, its the people who don't have enough sense to use it in a manner that's effective.  Seems to me that calling it an email addiction is just a way to avoid telling people they suck at life.

1 comment:

Five Cubed Skipper said...

yeah, I concur...while it's nice to get my email pushed straight into that nerdy holster I clip to my belt. I decided to turn off the alerts for email... so thatI check it when I want to...and I'm not beholdent to buzzing of the BB. It's really not that hard to stay on top of it, but you do need to have a fairly regular interaction with it. Unlike some people the I know that you simpyl should not email because they never look at it. Put it in the schedule to do and do it. it's not that hard...