Tuesday, May 22, 2007

"I had a feeling a law was being broken, but I didn't know exactly what,"

Oh, yeah.  That's how I like my law enforcement; hunch based.  Another guy got busted for using a free Internet connection at a cafe from his car.  Neither the "criminal" , the store owner, nor the police officer knew surfing the Internet from your car was illegal, but luckily this guy got caught and fined.  I mean, what would this country come to if people were just allowed to take advantage of completely free services.  Never mind that there's nothing denoting which networks are for public use, and which are not.  You know, like security or a detailed SSID.  Laws like these reek of legislation without information.  Someone suggested we do something about people breaking into networks, but didn't really think about cases where open networks are confused for public access points.  Its like throwing people in jail for walking into an occupied bathroom stall, even if the occupant made no effort to keep you out.  Like locking the door a subtle throat clear as you approach.

Moral of the story: if you're scamming off my unsecured WiFi network, watch the fuck out; I'm callin the cops when I catch you.

No comments: