Friday, May 11, 2007

Just Call Me Lackluster, See What Happens.

New paradigms abound.  I know it really helps marketers to lump people into groups, but something about being classified makes me not want to buy shit.  If I know you want me to buy something and I get the slightest feeling you're up to something I'm audi.  Just be glad that I don't play it like Ronin and shoot up the place.  "Got the swag, kept the money, good show!"

Nonsense segways aside, they've decided to break up the "early adopter" tag (since technically a third of people are now, and we can't all be early adopters) into several sub groups.  A quarter of the third are now called "Lackluster Veterans," which I can only assume refers to the number of times I've been burned getting hopeful about some swanky new product.  Although to be fair, it is not I that is lackluster, its your crappy products that fail to impress.

I recently realized I'm in this group because I do read about new stuff, but I have absolutely no plans to get any of it and I'm often underwhelmed.  Why just this morning a friend asked me about the iPhone (somehow people assume I'll be getting one) :

Jeadly,
In your expert technical opinion, would you switch to ATT (Cingular) because of the iPhone?  Looks so appealing.  Bluetooth.  iTunes.  Bluetooth.
  But I am a Verzion Wireless customer with 4 lines on a family plan.  Contract aside…  Thoughts?

no, i would not.  I would not pay for an iphone if they had it on verizon.

But is that because of iPhone or Verizon?  Like what are 1-3 reasons why?  I mean, I think I'd rather just have a phone and then an iPod with Bluetooth.  But…  yeah.  Looks so pretty.

Uh, I've been down on gadgets lately.  Especially gadgets they tell me will change my life.  They're not going to magically fill some void I never thought possible (unless maybe I go live in the desert for 6 years and come back amazed at the advancements they've made.)  I mean, look at the "innovations" they've got lined up: live streaming video (what's the point?  video was novel, but now they're all doing it cause they can, not cause they should) stupid rings for everything imaginable (i've just gotten rid of all my rings for individual people cause I never know what it sounds like and don't know its me ringing.)

I can't run itunes all the time on my computer cause it sucks up too many resources.  I don't buy from itunes music store cause I'm not willing to pay more for no DRM.  I've been leaving my ipod in my car lately, so i don't carry it around anyway.  And I've been listening to CDs in my car that i haven't heard for a while.  I don't use my bluetooth headphones anymore cause I just don't care enough.  I've also slowed down buying music on emusic, which is trouble cause I get 40 songs a month regardless.

I've also realized that phones seem cool when you get them and then always seem played out in a year or so cause they keep one-upping the current model, just wait till apple gets on that train, they freaking laid the track in that ploy.  If i cared about the phone i had I'd look into something like helio.  But when it comes down to it they're all too expensive.  250 bucks for a phone (more for an iphone, right?) and then a hundred bucks a month is unreasonable for my needs. 30 second - 2 minute conversations, occasional text messages and moderate Internet usage.

*Sigh*  Such an old man.  What happened to the young, innocent, uncynical me that got excited about mini-discs and rios and chocolate chip pancakes wrapped around sausage on a stick?

No comments: