Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Lesser Of Two Money Grubbing Evils.

All this talk of 4 dollar gas makes me pissed off cause I'm pretty sure that its mostly going into some fat-cat's inner suit-vest pocket.  And yeah, there are arguments about how the price isn't really artificially inflated because of refinery closings and various other processing shortfalls.  But honestly, if they spent a little more money on the supply chain and less Benjamins lining the floor of their parakeet cages, maybe there wouldn't be a pinch at the pump.  Problem is that it actually helps their bottom line to neglect vital workings to a certain degree; so they can point the blame at some "unavoidable" circumstance, charge us more while doing less, and know for a fact that we'll keep consuming at the same rate.

But that's not what I want to talk about.  This article discusses Americans who have backed themselves into a lifestyle where driving isn't optional.  A 55 minute commute is shameful, and an SUV makes it painful, but even 4 bucks a gallon isn't enough to uproot an entrenched yuppy.  The commentary points out that American drivers just pay what they have to, and cut costs in other areas of the budget.  Walmart, for instance, is one place where we could consume less if we needed to.  And their earnings report shows that's exactly what is happening.

I do like that news, but the connection made me wonder, if Walmart started selling gas as a loss leader, would I hop on board?  I haven't even been to a Walmart in years and years, mostly because they're killing America with homogeneity and cheap crap.  But I also hate gas companies and anything that makes them sweat a little seems like a good thing.  So obviously I'm torn.  At what point would I be unable to resist the call of Wal-gas?  20 cents cheaper?  30 cents?  Luckily I don't think any plans are in the works for this, so its just an exercise in hate prioritization and Walmart can stay on the "dead to me" list.

No comments: