Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Don't Hold Your Breath.

Scientists have noticed that Emperor penguins stay underwater for a long time.  Their investigations showed the animals' blood-oxygen levels were basically of the bottom of the chart upon return to the surface and speculations are on a Hulking super hemoglobin.  They say the penguin blood (aside from being delicious) bonds more efficiently at lower concentrations, so a higher percent of the oxygen is consumed.

I hypothesize that this is just the adolescent penguin form of huffing.  You swim down to about 1,800 feet and when you drag yourself out of the water the swirling colors and warm breezes just make life worth living.  Even if it is a frozen bastage of an existence on a shrinking ice shelf with rising flood waters.

All joking aside, genetic crossbreeding gives me the heeby jeebies.  I'll not be vacationing with Dr Moreau any time soon.  But I want this super hemoglobin.  I wouldn't get out of breath all the time and I'd only have to exhale once every 20 minutes.  Talk about a time saver!

No comments: