Tuesday, December 04, 2007

I'll Tell YOU Where You Can Put YOUR Hand.

Seriously?  Its actually a law that you should put your hand over your heart during the national anthem?  That is stupid.  Not because I don't (I don't), or because I don't want to (I don't) or because there are so many arrangements of the anthem that I do not consider anthem-like.  Its because they can't enforce it.  They cannot legally enforce this law without violating someone's rights.  I don't get these "laws" that are suggestions.  What's the point of a law that doesn't have any authority?  I understand tradition, but legislated tradition is like piping crowd noise into a sparsely attended baseball game.  Or professional wrestling.  They just don't have the sincerity to hold my attention.  Congress handing out tips for everyone to live by, but don't have the cajones to follow up on?  Makes me want to say "go suck an egg" and make a derogatory gesture.  This is a waste of legislation; if that's not a redundant term.

No comments: