Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Keep Your Trap Shut.

Ever had a cop ask you if you know why he's pulled you over?  Its a trick man.  He just wants you to blurt out "cause I've got a body in my trunk?".  Fishing for dirt.  I mean, sure he's got you on something, or else he wouldn't be able to stop you, right?  Apparently not in California where cops are pulling people over to give them Starbucks gift cards.  ...wait for it...  WTF?  I dunno about you, but I'd be pretty pissed off if a cop rolled up behind me, flashed his lights and sauntered up to give me mochachino bucks.  But maybe that's just my irrational fear of authority.

Isn't this illegally detaining someone?  I mean I'm not allowed to keep going, so I'm being delayed against my will with no probable cause.  If some random guy wants to give me a present he can honk his horn and flash his brights all he wants, but I'm not legally bound to yield to him.  Sounds like an abuse of power for purposes of holiday cheer.

Wouldn't any evidence found in traffic stop like that be inadmissible anyway?  So you're basically turning law enforcement officers into compulsory ice cream men.  Great job.

1 comment:

They call me Craig. said...

I wish a cop would pull me over for doing the speed limit and give me a "get out of 1 speeding ticket free" card.