Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Fill 'Er Up, Please.

When I was in Dublin I noted the 12 foot high stone walls that surround nearly every in of the Guinness brewery.  I mentioned, jokingly, that it was to keep all the Irishmen out.  Of course it, like most good jokes, was only funny because it was mostly true.  I mean, come on.  I they had a waist high wall there would be so many people in that place you'd think it was Woodstock.

Well the fatal flaw in any wall is that it has a gate.  I spose technically you could build a wall with no gates, but that's a rare sight indeed.  The gates being the weak point, you generally have sentries or archers or tubs of Greek fire to help make up for it.  Not so at the Guinness brewery.  Some crafty Irishman stopped trying to climb the walls long enough to figure out he could go around.  All told, he made off with 180 kegs of Guinness, 180 kegs of bud and 90 kegs of Carlsberg.  That's what was in the trailer he hooked his truck to and scooted right out the front door.

The gardi found the empty truck some distance away.  I'm just taking a guess here, but that guy must have brought along 2, maybe 3 of his mates to polish off that much booze so quickly.

No comments: