Monday, August 21, 2006

I Predict You Will Pay Too Much...

This is badass. I don't care who you are, it pisses you off when you book a flight and the price drops. Enter Farecast. Aside from a clever name this site promises to deliver the unthinkable. Premonition. Well, I doubt its actually a gypsy and a crystal ball behind the curtain, but the "how it works" page is less than revealing. To be useful I'd say its a Machine Learning program hooked up to the flight information databases. So it observes and conjectures and corrects itself when its wrong. Nice guys, this is an excellent solution to the "where you do you get high quality training data" problem. Another nugget is that (if it is ML) the longer they operate the site, the more accurate it will get.

Now, I don't understand why ticket prices fluctuate like this, but lets hope its not under the airline's direct control. And if it is lets hope they don't find out about this site. I can just picture some executive screwing with prices and watching the software scramble to try and explain it.

No comments: