Wednesday, August 23, 2006

I Can't Force You To Read This.

An article at TechDirt lays some smack down on Harry Fuller's little snippet about TV/Internet integration. Its mostly about Stephen Colbert and how Harry says he's doing it all wrong. He tries to tee up on the recent Star Wars green screen challenge.
"But can you find that video on the Colbert Web site? Of course not, you have to go to YouTube to see the videos fans produced. Colbert thinks he can use the Web to force people to watch his TV show? Not too swift."
I'm gonna have to jump on the TechDirt wagon cause most of that noise doesn't make any sense at all. Fuller is a former TV executive, so I guess he wants all information easily contained and sanitized for consumption in a single location. That way they can "force" you to view their content. For example, I just looked at the source code of FoxNews.com and didn't find a single external link other than its ads. Yeah, you get the Internet. Colbert talks about (and creates) current Internet events on his show. He doesn't just have a sad little site that tries to supplement what I saw on TV. If I want more information on something, there are way better sources than FoxNews.com. In all honestly I can't even remember most websites that they tell me on TV. I have never been to ColbertNation.com. But I did vote to name the bridge in Hungary (after Chuck Norris), because I found a link to it on another site.

That's what the executive fringe doesn't seem to get. I'm not typing in a url and staying confined within that domain. I'm clicking links, I'm looking at sources, I'm enjoying quality websites that aren't concerned with cornering market share. When I post external links here I assume that most of you will at least glance at them. And I fully expect that I'll loose a good portion of traffic from people that just never make it back. The Internet is too big and interesting to limit readers like that. I've come to expect it, and I can only hope that people will be drawn in by my terribly witty insights. So I think that what Stephen Colbert is doing is exactly what Internet integration should be. Becoming part of the buzz and accepting it as its own medium, not just a way to corral more eyeballs into your roundhouse.

P.S.
Harry Fuller,
No I'd never heard of current.tv (wikipedia), but now I have thanks to the external link on your post. And now they have another link from my post. See how the Internet goes down?

No comments: