Monday, August 21, 2006

I'm All About No Maintenance

I've had a pantleg or two eaten by a hungry bike chain, so this is an interesting concept for me. I've also been de-railed and screwed up the (deceivingly intricate) workings of my shifters and conventional drive system on multiple occasions. What if there was no chain though? Would it really be no-maintenance? That's what the Dekra D-Drive is claiming.
The biggest advantage of having all the gears and drive shaft enclosed is that the D-Drive system never requires cleaning, lubrication or maintenance.
Looks like a cool idea, but I'm not quite convinced that its worth a $300 upgrade. And if this thing breaks in the middle of a ride you're definitely screwed.

1 comment:

kennethj said...

i'm a bit concerned that when they say "Zero maintanance" they just mean that it is impossible to do any maintance.

parts wear out...just by another one...no maintanace required.


still pretty interesting though...as far as drive train on a bike goes that's never really had much major innovation associated with it throughout its history