Saturday, August 26, 2006

More Baby Steps To Greatness.

Alright, I'm not sure how tricky or useful you'll find this. It isn't so much real world sneakery, its for computering. So all you who try not to muck about in folders and menus can disregard this step and backpedal to "learn to use a computer." The rest of you, lets press on.

I find the 'send to' function on the right click context menu to be very useful. But you may say, "yeah, but I don't want to 'send to' any of those options." Well neither do I, so what I do is make a shortcut to the 'send to' folder and put it in the 'send to' folder. That way modifying my option list is as easy as creating a shortcut.

If you already get what I mean from the previous description, good job, use it or not. Its up to you. If you need a little more get ready, I'm only doing this once.
  1. head to your user folder ie: c:/documents and settings/{username}
  2. if you don't see a folder titled "send to" hit 'tools>>folder options...' then 'view' and find the 'show hidden files and folders' radio button.
  3. once you've shown the hidden files right click on the "send to" folder and hit 'create shortcut.'
  4. drag and drop "shortcut to send to" into "send to" ( you can rename the shortcut if you'd like)
That's it. Now you can start adding your own 'send to' folders.
For instance, I've just configured this particular machine to run FireFox when I logon. I made a "Shortcut to Startup" using the 'send to' >> 'Desktop (create shortcut)' option and then sent the new shortcut to 'send to'.

No comments: